Pastoral Planning Team Agenda
26 October 2015
7:30-9:30 P.M. Meeting
Choir Loft Conference Room
Pam Chaplin, Ernie Chaplin, Jeff Ayotte, Donna Rajcula, Joe Sperino, Chris Hodgens, Catherine Hodgens, Rob Callahan, Melissa Martin-LaVache, Paul Loughlin, Fr. Bill, Sue Conciatori, Karen Barrett
7:30: Opening Prayer
Review and acceptance of Minutes from September 28th meeting – accepted
• Discuss Stewardship Renewal Reminder
o Renewal Breakdown – see sheet attached
o Witness talks were very effective, folks that were there that weekend increased 20%
o Stewardship new to Catholics
o Visuals- Fr Bill will point them out this coming weekend
o Reminder letter will go out in a few weeks (2nd week of November)
• Active draft attached
o Pam will email letter for further wisdom
o Email a heads up that another card is coming?
o It was suggested that it may be effective connecting with people to budge them into ministry ‘you have an amazing personality, have you ever thought of joining the events team?’
• Inactive letter attached
o PLN topic? Will discuss more
o Sell them on benefits and ‘fun’ of coming here, being active
o Do we have the courage to call them?
o Should we add a line that says ‘my spiritual needs are being met elsewhere’
o Pam will email letter for further wisdom
Discuss PACE fundraiser
• We have been doing our Christmas Fair for 30 years on the same weekend
o PACE has chosen to do a similar event on the same date
o Should we approach them and say something or let the chips fall where they may
• We have made great strides with the school system – it was suggested that we have a dialog with them regarding this fundraiser
o PPT to school officials, Brian Miller? Then he would talk with PACE?
• Global calendar for the town? We are a small community and we need to work together
Review the Harvest Fest and Fill-A-Ford results and feedback going forward. Discuss the potential use of funds from the Harvest Fest for planning and promoting the 2016 Harvest Fest
• Hopedale, Northbridge, Worcester and Milford
• How do we build on this for the next year?
o Good partners, good mix of people, good publicity, all hands on deck and all ages on deck
o Build on something for next year that grows outreach and effort
• Consider how we appropriate funds
o Imperial on board next year? Publicity in the papers, etc?
o Purpose to make money or purpose to help the needy
o Make this a part of PLN to dig into these details and discuss further
o Partnership effort between Mission & Outreach and Weekend Experience
o Start an events fund for going forward?
Mission and Outreach Discussion Topics:
• Outreach to inactives or rather a continued concentration on those who are here.
o Lacking serious manpower/woman power/parish effort to seek out those who are inactive.
o Will not be easy to go out to inactives, how do you know when to cut ties?
o Do we create those reachable moments
o Why do we want to invite them back? We need to be right with it internally.
o Ministry focused on ‘evangelization?’
What appealed to us if we were inactive?
• What brought us back?
• Invite people to have babies baptized?
• Mail to new people moving in welcoming them to town
• Postcard mailing inviting to Christmas
What are our priorities?
PLN might be a great time to come up with tactics
• Parish Growth 2016
o Are we anywhere committed to “takin’ it to the streets” or a concerted parish effort aimed at going door to door to the (in actives) in 2016?
o Skills and training manual trains in 6 sessions to give you skills to find ‘reachable moments’ with inactives.
o Have to have people to make this work – we need to put a team together to do this. Train active members to do this.
o August BBQ at Chaplin’s, use that as an example to be a ‘shepherd’ in each neighborhood. Connect with those neighbors about what good work we are doing here.
o We need to make a list of people to invite to be trained
Strong team with energy
HR campaign more than capital campaign
Committee has to recruit, train and oversee
How do we move forward?
Should this be our retreat?
Pinpoint who we really want from each neighborhood.
Where do we start?
2 people for each street in Hopedale
Pilot program to get it going?
Share at PLN? Look for recruits
Look at map and choose first groups we are going to train?
Ready to start, tired of talking about it. If we do not reach out we are going to close. We need to minister to the people that live in Hopedale.
o Street by street listing with actives on top, inactives on the bottom
o Catholics Come Home
We have permission to use the video before Mass
Do we show a video of parish happenings, renovations?
• What will be our top 3 priorities be in 2016? May not be decided tonight, but need to keep this important question in mind
Discuss if we are we going to have a Parish Retreat this year
Should we use the topic of caring and reaching out to invite inactives.
We could do January, but also through spring and/or in Lent?
Falls under Message Shapers and will work with Mission & Outreach
Discuss the Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration to be held January 18th
Day of service rather than night
Teams will go out to work at different locations for 3 hours
Schools will be videotaping some of the projects
Community would view video on our screen
6:30 Power of One Award
Message Shapers- general update
Sacramental Prep meetings and prep
1st reconciliation prep pushed into November due to renovations
Eucharist prep will begin
Next message – Mercy in the Middle or Advent-ures in Mercy?
Weekend Experience Ministry- general update
5 new altar servers
Christmas Fair planning is ongoing
Mission and Outreach Ministry- general update
Operations Ministry- general update
Coffee And… a lot of new faces
Mission & Outreach Coffee And…– November 22nd
Discuss the proper posting of the financial info – website, bulletin, etc.
2nd Sunday of the month
Collections and expenses
Low level of detail
Fringe benefits called benefits instead
Rob and Melissa to meet next week to come up with a template
Building renovations update
Digging trenches for wires is a huge project
We are behind schedule because of a longer process
Electrical work being done tomorrow
By Sunday blue paint will be done and pouring will hopefully be dry
Working on details for altar circle and ramp
Any new business
Operation Turkey Sandwich – hosted by Hopedale Unitarian Parish
Looking for turkey, homemade pies, etc
Adding to bulletin
9:25: Closing Prayer
Next Meeting: Nov. 23rd – Thanksgiving week
Pastoral Planning Team Meeting
September 28, 2015
7:30-9:30 P.M. Meeting
Choir Loft Conference Room
Attendees: Father Bill, Larry Bonetti, Donna Rajcula, Paul Loughlin, Melissa Martin-LaVache, Karen Barrett, Jeff Ayotte, Sue Conciatori, Pam Chaplin, Rob Callahan, Chris Hodgens, Catherine Hodgens, Brenda Fishlock, Helena Martin, Joe Sperino
Review and acceptance of Minutes – accepted.
Review Finances and Budget for FY16 – Rob Callahan
• See financial printout for exact figures
• Budgeting worst-case scenario and adding money to savings built in to budget.
• 18% expenses over income
• Looking for increase of 20% in stewardship renewal
• Savings is a concern – need to have reserves
• Block for new stewardship cards will be added with the table of 20% increase –
• Very lean budget, we can be comfortable in knowing we are not spending in extravagance
• Will Fuel & Utilities be addressed when speaking with parishioners? Yes
• Will promote giving in Mass
Harvest Festival Update – Donna & Brenda Fishlock
• Rain is expected on Saturday
• 140+/- tickets sold, but we need to provide seating – may need to use classrooms.
• Marketing and promotion of event was very successful!
• Round tables or rectangular?
• Set-up crew will need support, Donna and Ernie coordinating
• Deadline for tickets is Noon on Wednesday
• Clean-up crew will need to remove tables and chairs on Saturday night to allow for Faith Formation classes Sunday morning.
• Fill-A-Ford – bring food donations into the old cry-room if we have rain.
PLN Topic for Tuesday October 13th – All
• What topic should we discuss?
• Should we continue on the same topic as parenting?
• Any ideas based on next homily series of Teacher, Teach Me?
• It doesn’t appear that topic model is bringing in new PLN attendees, but getting regular attendees more involved.
• What a difference God and Church has made in my life.
• Adult-education program
• How has Pope Francis’ visit impacted you? What did you take away from his visit? This week’s bulletin will begin talking about it.
Coffee & Conversation rotation to create Ministry exposure – Paul Loughlin
• Idea was to have the 4 different ministries host Coffee and… to promote their ministries. Idea was unanimously accepted
• Example: 1 weekend in October, Operations take a weekend and ‘sponsor’ coffee and… come and meet these folks and get to know a little more about this ministry. It was suggested to be 4th weekend to coincide with Starting Points orientation
o October – Operations
o November – Mission & Outreach
o December – Message Shapers
o January – Weekend Experience
• With restructuring Stewardship Renewal Team has not been given enough attention
• All materials have been created/updated in the office and printing will be in-house
• Goes out to all Active and Inactive ministers
• Treasure Presentation? Rob and Father Bill
• Talent Presentation? Joyce Konicki? April Izzi? Grant Gosselin?
• Time Presentation? Jana? Dave Monson? April Izzi?
• Witness Talks?
• Prayer Life, Small Groups
• Plan will be set in the office – what weeks we will have what talks, etc.
• First week of October is goal to mail these out
Cultivating new Liturgical Ministers – Melissa
• Urgent need for ministers, Donna will send email to reinforce need to keep commitments
• Remind people as they make decisions – when they are deciding, pray about what you choose to participate in
• Maybe have alternates?
• After we have stewardship renewal, should we have a retreat for all new commitments
• Work on Ministry Directory – how do we make Ministry Directory more accessible?
• Faith Formation classes have started
• Still more registrations coming in
• Class-to-Mass: Good feedback so far – classes go through the parts of Mass and then attend Mass as a class and shadow in ministry
• Service projects underway, benefiting local area
• Pam shared a thank-you letter from Dr. Catherine Stickney
o Share in the bulletin?
• Harvest Fest
• Gerald planning Altar Server training
• New Member Ministry has been updated – ‘Starting Points’ Orientation
o Slide – ‘Starting Points’ Orientation 4th Sunday for the month at 9:30 in the Parish Center
• See financial and budgeting information above
Mission & Outreach
• Working on service projects for COAST
Buildings & Grounds
• Projects coming along nicely
o Day Chapel heat
• Legs for new altar have been installed
• This Saturday tabernacle will be moved, new altar installed, organ moved
o One crew on altar, one on the tabernacle
• New windows in sanctuary in 1-2 weeks
• Repurposing baptismal font area to be work area for altar servers
• Tabernacle and altar installed will allow for details/finish work
o New entrance doors
• This winter
o Old Cry Room – confessional area
o Old Confessional area – parlor for baptisms, weddings, undertakers
• Pews area next summer after asbestos removal
Process to schedule events and meeting expectation
• Please make sure to schedule meetings through Melissa for every space
• Any projects that we generate in ministries should be coordinated and completed by the ministry for the most part
o Depending on ministry leaders to take on as much as they can as far as projects are concerned
• Be aware of how many things that are coming through the office
• Any suggestions to make it easier?
o Volunteers in the office to answer phones?
Select a New Facilitator – Joe Sperino
Next Meeting October 26, 2015